Religious, Moral and Philosophical Studies
The aims of the R.M.P.S. Department are:
· To provide a positive learning and teaching environment for all pupils and staff.
· For all pupils to feel comfortable and valued by staff.
· To provide opportunities for personal, active, co-operative and reflective learning.
· Together, we aim to broaden and deepen our knowledge and understanding of religious and cultural diversity.
Skills developed in R.M.P.S.
· Knowledge and Understanding
· Critical Thinking
· Literacy, Numeracy and Health and Wellbeing
The topics being studied in R.M.P.S. this year are:
S1: Philosophy (ultimate questions), Morality (conflict, peace, remembrance), Leaders of Religion, Morality and Philosophy, Symbols.
S2: Sacred Writings and charity work, Philosophy and animal rights.
S3: Study SQA Unit Assessment ‘Religion in the Social World: Sikhism and family life & Buddhism in the workplace. Pupils in S3 are presented to SQA for Intermediate 1 level accreditation.
S4: Study SQA Unit Assessment ‘Morality in the Modern World’: Racism and Capital Punishment. Pupils in S4 are presented to SQA for Intermediate 2 level accreditation.
Higher: Both Higher sets study Buddhism, War and Peace and Christianity: Belief and Science.
Additionally: The R.M.P.S. department takes responsibility for encouraging whole school participation in Peace One Day (each September) and the annual Battlefields Excursion to Belgium or France (each October).